Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lover of My Soul

The best time I've had this weekend was a dance party at midnight with 20 other young ladies.  Truly lovely.  

Not that I actually danced.  But watching and listening to the pounding beats and giggling girls was like balm to a broken soul.  

Not broken in a tortured sort of way...but lately my heart has been so heavy.  Heavy with the weight of the world.  The hopelessness, brokenness, sinfulness of life can leave a soul feeling empty, bereft of comfort.  Lacking strength. Left adrift, wandering aimlessly.  

Unless we know Jesus, of course.  

I now understand that this should be the condition of my heart - broken -  not "bricked" up by a wall of safety.  One that keeps me protected and "seemingly" safe on the inside.  That kind of hard heart also keeps me from knowing the joy, peace, and comfort that only my Savior can give.  In order to love others, my heart must be broken.  Soft.  Open.  His love is poured in.  Out of the overflow, I offer it to others.

My heart is the broken vessel, the cracked clay pot if you will,  that God wants me to leave at His feet as an offering.  He fills it up and the light that shines throughout is His light, His love, pouring out of me.  In this, it is thus redeemed, made usable, given value.  

He is amazing.  And so worthy.  My Savior and Healer.  The One who is preparing my heart and soul for bigger things yet to come.  He is my strength and my comfort.

Lover of my (wounded) soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment