Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rising to the Challenge

Out of my Bible falls a slip of paper.  On it is this question:

What is your personal challenge for the year 2012?

Instead of the normal "resolutions" made by many, discarded shortly thereafter by most, and despised by all, is a question to ponder.

It is far better to rise to a challenge then to fail miserably at keeping a "resolution".  Don't you agree?

I suppose to break it down into something easier for me to understand, I begin with the definitions.

Resolution:
1)  a resolve or determination:  to make a firm resolution to do something.
2)  the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
(the two definitions that best suit this purpose)

Challenge:
1)  a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc.
2)  something that by its nature or character serves as a call to battle, contest, special effort, etc.

I see a distinct difference.  One I rather much appreciate.

Rather than relying on my own resolve or determination, I am free to answer a call or summons.  One given by the very Giver of life.  One who has the perfect plan, knows my part in it and calls me forth.  One who has designated work for me to engage in and has prepared me for it.

My part is my response.

What choice will I make?  Will I respond to His call?  Step forth, out into the darkness, the unknown and trust Him?  A call to something that will most certainly provide a "battle" of some sort, something that will require a "special effort".

I will.

So how do I answer the question put forth:

What is my personal challenge for the year of 2012?

I will, with the Lord's help, and to fulfill His purpose in my life, depend on Him and rise to the challenge of

worshiping unashamedly...
trusting wholeheartedly...
loving truly...
feeling deeply...

as well as, but not limited to,

spending more time with my First Love...
putting Husband before self...
seeing my children as stewards to be discipled, being willing to teach AND learn the hard lessons...
extending grace to those the world deems undeserving...
being malleable and pliant to the teachings of the Word...
being open to His discipline as He molds me into His likeness...

only to name a few...

These are things to which He specifically calls each of us.  These things are not directed only to me, but to all.

How will you contemplate the coming year?
Will you make resolutions, or rise to the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment