Monday, July 11, 2011

Life Giving Word

My brain is slow today.  Muddled by the heat perhaps?  It's so hot.

Heat index hot.
Sticky, can't breathe hot.
Sunglasses-fogging-over hot.
Ick.  Ewww.

I find solace at the kitchen table.  In the middle of a home where the cold air is abundant.  Where all that is here is the sound of the fridge running.  The click of the keys on the computer in the front room where restless-boy is playing a game.  Faint sounds of cartoons drifting high among the all the other sounds, not restless-boy this time but blessing-girl happy that her brother of but three years older isn't around.

Rest.  I hear a home at rest.

A heart at rest, in any case.

I sit at the table, having spent some time in the Word.  I sit and just look at the pages.  The pages of the Book that is life-changing.  I love to hear the crinkly sounds of the pages as they are turned.  The weight of several as it's flipped to another verse.  I feel the curve of it as it lies open under my palms.  I sense it's breath of life and love.  I soak in the words of the day...

...unfailing love...


...by grace you have been saved...


...love better than life...

Words that breathe hope into a heavy heart.  Words that chase away clouds of despair.  Words that tell of His greatness and speak the promises given.  The corners are curled.  The edging is all but disappeared.  The first few and last pages are crumpled into messy accordion folds.  As I move pages, notes and messages, cards and reminders spill out of it.  I read, and reread, underline-with a ruler, no less-words that pour Truth into my soul.  Knowing that the Word is simply His love letter to me, I thank Him for something tangible to hold in my hands.  Examples of those gone before; instruction, encouragement, poetry, history, Jesus' words.  Healing words.  Comforting words.

I am inspired to speak about such love for my precious Bible as I am giving thanks for a friend who's treasured Bible has been restored to her after more than a year.  I have been with her many times as she has lamented the loss of a gift she's had since she was younger.  She has spoken of how valuable it was to her during her college years.  Looking through it and seeing all that was underlined and marked-a Bible well loved-and wondering who it could belong to, it was pure sweetness to read her name written on the first page.

I am ever amazed by the goodness of God.  I can't fathom His gifts to us.  Or the joy that accompanies something so small.

Yet it is the "smallness" all accumulated that make up the whole.

Peering at this moment, I take it in, breathe it deep, imprint it in my mind and on my heart and rest in it for a moment.  Finding refreshment.

1 comment: