Friday, June 3, 2011

Sweet Sofrito!

I am blessed to know and be surrounded by adventurous, brilliant, creative women!  I'm so thankful for all that I can soak in from each one of them.

So saying, I have this particular friend who is married to a man who's father is of Puerto Rican descent and he was raised in Puerto Rico.  She is a fantastic cook and has shared many ideas with me.  Our latest (and probably favorite!!!) is making homemade sofrito.  Sofrito is generally used as an additive to sauces, specifically, tomato-based sauces.  I add it to the PR dishes I make at home, spaghetti sauce, and chili.  I'll share the recipe although everyone just kind of makes it their own, YOU know how much of which particular ingredient you like!
Sofrito
1 bunch Cilantro
8 leaves of culantro (if you can't find add some extra cilantro)
1 head of garlic
2 large onion
1/2 lb. sweet chili peppers
2 large green bell peppers
? cup olives with pimientos
1 sm jar roasted red peppers
1 tbsp. cappers
2 tbsp. crushed oregano
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Rinse, peel and chopp vegetables. Combine in food processor and puree.
Spoon into ice tray and freeze. Store cubes in zip-loc bag. Each cube measures 1 tbs .
Copyright 2009 - All Rights Reserved - TheNoshery.com



This recipe is from a website entitled TheNoshery as you will note on that last line.  It's a great place to visit, I encourage you to try it out!  Also, I believe that culantro is coriander but not sure.  It doesn't look so great when you get it all pureed up but the smell is absolutely divine!


Hope you are interested in giving this recipe a try-you absolutely will NOT regret it!!  

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, thanks for posting this. Ever since you told me about it, I've been wanting to try it!

    ReplyDelete