Friday, April 1, 2011

The Broken Heart of a Boy

Today the Lord allowed me a glimpse of something awesome.  The broken heart of a nine year old boy.  Now, before you judge this momma for being too harsh and evil, allow me to explain.

Tonight the Kingdom of Heaven Kidz Choir sang the national anthem at a Pacers game.  It was awesome!  They did an amazing job.  So thankful for their sweet little voices.  :-)  As we were walking out to our van, headed home, there was a man sitting on the steps that led to our parking lot.  We were quite a ways from any signs of life.  He was the only person we encountered after leaving the fieldhouse.  He had a sign that read:  

I am homeless, need money for food.  God bless you.

We passed by the man.  I saw him but didn't know what to do or say.  Ashton asked if we had cash.  He wanted to know, could we go back and give him some money?  Neither his dad nor I had any cash.  Besides, is that really the avenue we wanted to take?  You know what they say....they will just spend it on alcohol, drugs, whatever else that doesn't really meet a "need".  But does that matter?  What happens when we are faithful to God's call?  We are blessed.  That man is then responsible for how he uses the money.  But I digress...back to a boy with a broken heart.  

As we began traveling home, we could hear sniffles from the very back of our van.  Ashton has had the "sniffles" for quite a few days, so I dutifully handed back some tissue.  As I listened, I could hear him softly sobbing.  Victor and I both asked him why, not at all understanding what could possibly be the problem.  I couldn't begin to guess what had him so sad.  Finally, after we got out of Indianapolis proper, we pulled over to get some gas.  After much coaxing, Ashton came up to where I had opened the door and allowed me to soothe him.   As he calmed down somewhat, he was able to tell me why he was crying.  That sweet boy was so sad over this homeless man.  He so badly wanted to have done something for him.  So we did the only thing we could at that point.  We prayed together.  I explained to him that even though we couldn't help, we know the One who can.  The One who can do anything, the One who loves that man more than we do.  I gave him and Elli another snuggle, got them buckled back up, and we got back on the road toward home.  

He continued to cry for another 40 minutes.

I let him.

I gave thanks to God for a boy who has a heart for others.

I rejoiced in my son's tears. 

I prayed, and prayed, and prayed that this experience would sink deep within him and give him a calling to show Christ's love to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment